I-Buttons

Sorry for the confusion, I think the 1-wire stuff are the chips and
components used to implement the iButton systems?  The 1-wire bus host
chips come in the same flavors as the ready-to-use iButton interfaces
(serial, usb, parallel port, etc.):

http://para.maxim-ic.com/compare.asp?Fam=1Wire&Tree=1Wire&HP=1-Wire.cfm&ln=

All of those flavors, including the usb, could most easily be implmented
in user-space, I'm thinking (makes debugging easier!).

Phil