add eeprom i2c driver

> I would like to suggest completely re-writing the user interface to
> the EEPROM device.  As an applications programmer, I should not have
> to open a separate sysfs file for each 16 bytes in the EEPROM. I
> should be able to open a single file and perform read/write/llseek
> operations on the file descriptor. I don't think that the actual data
> of the EEPROM device is something that belongs in sysfs, just as the
> data on a hard drive or from a serial port is not read through their
> sysfs counterparts. Furthermore, I think that checksum data is not
> something that should be in the kernel, but in the application that is
> using it.  An application can open() /dev/eepromX (/dev/nvramX maybe?)
> and read the data and ensure that the checksum is OK.  Not all
> applications will have the same checksum mechanism, location, etc.

The things were this way simply because the EEPROM driver started its
life as a component of the LM Sensors project. Actually, an EEPROM isn't
a sensor, and it was handled by LM Sensors simply because EEPROMs are
found on the I2C bus.

If we decide to change the interface for this driver, it means
(methinks) that it will have to leave the LM Sensors project completely,
since it won't be handled by sensors-detect nor libsensors/sensors. I
don't pretend it cause any sort of problem, I just want to make sure you
are aware of it.

Actually, it may be preferable to move the EEPROM driver away. If I
remember correctly, the LM Sensors team doesn't especially like this
driver ;) And I don't think anyone would look for an EEPROM driver
there.

We have a pair of scripts that dump some EEPROM information, written in
Perl. I can rewrite them if there's a new interface to the data, and
eventually they'll leave the LM Sensors project if there's no reason to
keep them there.

Mark, Phil, feel free to speak your mind if I'm wrong!

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/