Fw: Re: OMKE and temperature

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:02:33 +0100 (CET)
From: Soos Peter <sp at osb.hu>
To: Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org>
Subject: Re: OMKE and temperature

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Jean Delvare wrote:

> I am working with the LM Sensors group (http://www.lm-sensors.nu/) on
> I2C/SMBus busses and devices for hardware health monitoring. We have
> been informed by Virgil that OMKE was able to report temperature for
> his HP Pavilion ze4145, while our own driver doesn't work (if I
> understood correctly). My first guess is that you don't use anything
> I2C/SMBus related, but some HP-specific interface. Am I right?

Yes you hit it ;). I'm read directly from the ACPI Embedded Controller.
If available I use ACPI ec_read function if not I use my own one. See
the
http://sf.net/projects/omke for details.

> If this is the case, well, there isn't anything we can do (since I
> don't think we want to support very specific methods, nor any
> non-I2C/SMBus one).

It'd be good to create hooks in the kernel for getting infos about
hardware, and every module can use them if wants. See
console_blank_hook()
in console and apm/omnibook code for examlpe.

Regards,
--
So?s P?ter		Pannonhalmi F?ap?ts?g / Archabbey of Pannonhalma
			H-9090 Pannonhalma, V?r 1.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/