lm_sensors on ThinkPads

Related side note- Could I get some clarification (from anyone reading
who may know) on the vulnerable hardware?

The trouble, if I remember/understand correctly, wasn't that our code
eats RFID chips, but it was the particular Atmel chip (AT24RF08?) which
had a broken state machine which interprets I2C commands incorrectly
under certain circumstances.  Are newer Atmel chips safe?  Are other
RFID chips safe?  At one point, we thought that only a handful of older
Thinkpads used the defunct vulnerable Atmel chip, and that any others
using other chips were safe.

Just curious where our current understanding is at these days on this
sensitive topic.

Phil