lm_sensors

Ky?sti M?lkki wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Mark D. Studebaker wrote:
>
> > Kyosti has described some ways in which the 24RF08 could still
> > theoretically be corrupted (on non-IBM systems). While not disagreeing
> > with him, I think we need to draw the line somewhere, and in my
> > opinion we have a good explanation for Alan Cox that we have both
> > blacklisted the IBM systems _AND_ fixed the actual problem on non-IBM
> > systems, if there are any.
>
> I think we should not claim the actual problem fixed until adapter
> lock is held between the two Write Quicks. Unless of course, if you
> can convince Alan Cox that it hardly ever happens...
>
> 1. Module eeprom.o
>
> Generates Quick + multiple Read sequences if loaded with chksum!=0.

I verified that 'modprobe eeprom checksum=1' does corrupt the 24RF08.
We should add a second write quick, but that doesn't solve your locking
concern.

> Lucky we are, even number of Quicks protects 24rf08 from being
> corrupted by future transactions, but the lock issue applies here.
> I do not know if loading another client "simultaneuosly" is safe.
>
> 2. Two Write Quicks are breaken apart, since adapter lock is released
>
> Only single Write Quick in i2cdetect - but even number of those, and
> two Write Quicks in sensors-detect but releasing the bus in between.
> Just running sensors-detect twice may be harmful. First run loads
> sensor client that polls readings every five seconds or so.

We could double the write quicks in i2cdetect like we did in
sensors-detect.
But that doesn't solve your locking concern.

So do you have a proposal for locking?
Is there anyway to lock the adapter from userspace?
If there is, that's preferable to hacking i2c-core to double/fake write
quicks,
in my opinion.