SMBus/I2C Drivers (for XBox-Linux)

phil at netroedge.com wrote:

> > * A temperature sensor (ADM1032). I don't think lm_sensors already
> > contains code for this one, although similar chips are already there.
> > Anyway, the kernel won't have to support it, because the PIC already
> > takes care of shutting the system down, if it gets too hot.
>
> The ADM1032 is compatible with an existing driver we have, I believe.

Don't think so.
As shown on our 'new drivers' page the ADM1032/LM90/MAX6657/8 are new
chips we don't yet support. At first glance it
looks like we would need a new driver.
But the devices are fairly simple so we could whip up a driver quickly
if you wanted it. Since 3 companies have come out with compatible
chips I assume it will be popular and we'll be developing a driver
sooner or later. If you're willing to test it, great.

> > A different question: I haven't had a thorough look into your code yet -
> > can drivers using i2c-amd756 register to receive interrupts issued by
> > the SMBus controller? The PIC includes some watchdog functions (the box
> > gets reset/turned off when the eject or power button gets pressed and
> > the CPU does not respond to the I2C message), and it would of course be
> > better to add interrupt handlers than do polling.
>
> Good question.  I'm not sure how best to address that, or which
> interrupt to use or who would listen to it.  Perhaps if a PIC
> monitoring daemon were written, and listened to that interrupt.  It
> could check that PIC status (either directly via /dev/i2c-*, or by a
> chip driver) when it received an interrupt.  I don't believe that the
> i2c-amd756 lists to an interrupt... and I'm not sure what it would do
> if we configured it to... it would need to punt that to something else
> (probably a user-space app) to do something about it (like shutdown
> the system).

Most of our drivers don't have interrupt support in them.
If we add it we'll have to make sure we do it in the "right" way,
whatever that is :)