Hardware

> I understand that the project is in need of hardware in purpose of
> testing. I would just like to make everyone aware of that I happend to
> own an IBM ThinkPad 760XL. I know that lm_sensors destroys the
> Thinpad's EPROM if run (due to a broken hardware-standard
> implementation, right?). However, if there is someone who wants to
> test something on it I can do that for him/her (or just give the
> person in question a SSH account) as long as I don't have to replace
> my motherboard :)

I finished the detection code in sensors-detect. It would be great if we
were able to test it on your system.

The idea is: get lm_sensors from CVS and install it; run sensors-detect
as root.
You don't risk anything. If the detection works as I think it should,
sensors-detect will refuse to continue. If not, you just press CTRL+C.
In both cases, you let us know what happened.

Everyone:

There still is a problem: we can't run dmidecode if we are not root. And
the problem is the same if we do what dmidecode does directly in perl,
since we still need read access to /dev/mem. So, my question is: can we
break a thinkpad without being root? If yes, we are facing a serious
problem, and I have no idea how to solve it.

BTW, you are all invited to test the new sensors-detect and report any
problem that occurs. My policy has been:
1* If we aren't root or can't run dmidecode or dmidecode doesn't work
the way we expect: display the good old IBM warning;
2* If we detect a non-IBM system, no warning at all.
3* If we detect an IBM system, explain and exit.
4* If we detect a blank system vendor, same as 1*.
If someone has any objection, please let me know.

Good night everyone :)

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/