major lm_sensors problem

Yup, it's the AssetID chip (RFID eeprom).  So, it does seem to be the
'Thinkpad' issue after all.

Thanks for the link.  That's intesting that it effected your
bootloader of all things.  Odd.

If you get brave and want to try sensors-detect again, try to tell it
to skip address 0x5C.  That's where the access controls are for the
RFID chip.

In any case, I'm glad things are working for you again! :')

Phil