[ltp] Incorporating Thinkpad Detection into Lm_sensors

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 06:00:39PM -0400, Mark Studebaker wrote:
> did you reply to Joe?

Yes.  I just thanked him and told him we were digesting everything he
said.  Feel free to ask him a follow up, if you have something.

> I think he doesn't know what an SMBus 'write quick' is,
> if you explain that to him (copy from i2c/doc/smbus-protocol)
> that should give him what he needs.

I got the impression he understood.  This is how I read his email,
correct me if you think I'm wrong: He said that quick-commands didn't
seem to work because the chip was too stupid to stop intepreting the
I2C command after receiving after a STOP.  So, two consecutive quick
commands looked like a single larger 'byte write' command, or perhaps
even three of them looked like a larger 'byte write data' command.
Hense, the possible corruption of the eeprom...

btw-I got the feeling that IBM didn't get rid of the chip on
other/newer Thinkpads which were not vulnerable, but switched to an
ASIC which is 'different' but apparently operates the same way.
Perhaps the ASIC isn't as dumb as the Atmel chip (that it knows what a
i2c quick command is).

Oh, and I was also suprised that Joe said the laptops weren't acutally
dead.  You hit 'ESC' and went on your way.  The laptop even seemed to
correct the CRC on the eeprom so the error went away on the next boot.
I don't know if this is the case, though?

Phil