Thermal fan on PIIIDME

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 12:25:31AM +0100, Chris Rankin wrote:
> Sure; it's just kernel modules. What's the worst that
> could happen? (Apart from my CPU fans turning off and
> my mobo bursting into flames, but hey ;-) !)

lol... ;')

You could try just insmod'ing i2c-i801 and not lm87 to see if that
makes a difference.  You can peek inside i2c-i801.c if you want to see
how hanlding of the i801 works.

In general, the Linux kernel does good accounting of resources to
protect race conditions and such.  It can't account for things outside
of it's control, though, like strange subsystem/co-processor activity
unless the kernel is specificly checking for that.

I'm betting that the LM87 was configured to handle the temp/fan stuff
automaticly, and when lm87.o is insmod'ed, it stomps on the
initializations done by the Bios.  Try commenting out that init line
and installing the module.  It should act much more 'passively' then,
and only read values instead of completely initializing the chip from
scratch.

Phil