Ticket #: 758, ITE IT8712F-A not detected, and not properly configured

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Mark Studebaker wrote:

> If you send me the isadump output, then I can check,
> but since the it87 has some mfr ID registers that the LM78 doesn't have,
> we can be more confident that it's an IT87 if both are recognized,
> and we should recommend it over the LM78.

Thats O.K.

> Isn't that what you wanted? I thought that's what you were complaining about.

There are two fairly orthogonal aspects:

1. If LM78 cannot be recognized as IT87, and IT87 is misrecognized as LM87
then of course IT87 should have higher confidence.

2. If two chips have the same confidence, none should be preffered and the
choice should be left to user (look at your motherboard).

--
Jakub Nar?bski
    Poland