Urgent lm_sensor question. System failure??

Sometimes the health monitor chip can control fans, and may control
them in a variety of ways which lm_sensors may or may not effect.  Why
not try disabling lm_sensors and then do a full power reboot
(shutdown, power down, power up) to see if lm-sensors is really making
a difference?  BTW- 2.5.5 is a little old in case you want to try
upgrading (see our site: http://www.lm-sensors.nu )  Check for loose
connections on the fans, or try letting the computer sit in the Bios
screens for a while to see if the fan activity is different.
(Beware: Bios's are often busy-wait and can make your CPU hot
quickly if you fans aren't working right.)  Also be sure you are using
the correct chip driver and with the appropriate settings.

Good luck!

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
   phil at netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil