Re: CET/IBT support and live-patches

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 03:58:51PM -0500, Joe Lawrence wrote:

> Yep, kpatch-build uses its own klp-relocation conversion and not kallsyms.
>
> I'm not familiar with CET/IBT, but it sounds like if a function pointer
> is not taken at build time (or maybe some other annotation), the
> compiler won't generate the needed endbr landing spot in said function?

Currently it does, but then I'm having objtool scribble it on purpose.

>  And that would be a problem for modules using kallsyms lookup to get to
> said function.

Which is ofcourse the whole purpose of the exercise. If it's not
exported you don't get to call it via a back-door :-) This should kill a
whole heap of dodgy modules quite dead I hope.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]