Re: [bug report] livepatch: Initialize shadow variables safely by a custom callback

On 1/7/20 10:23 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 10:06:21AM -0500, Joe Lawrence wrote:
On 1/7/20 8:29 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
Hello Petr Mladek,

The patch e91c2518a5d2: "livepatch: Initialize shadow variables
safely by a custom callback" from Apr 16, 2018, leads to the
following static checker warning:

	samples/livepatch/livepatch-shadow-fix1.c:86 livepatch_fix1_dummy_alloc()
	error: 'klp_shadow_alloc()' 'leak' too small (4 vs 8)

samples/livepatch/livepatch-shadow-fix1.c
      53  static int shadow_leak_ctor(void *obj, void *shadow_data, void *ctor_data)
      54  {
      55          void **shadow_leak = shadow_data;
      56          void *leak = ctor_data;
      57
      58          *shadow_leak = leak;
      59          return 0;
      60  }
      61
      62  static struct dummy *livepatch_fix1_dummy_alloc(void)
      63  {
      64          struct dummy *d;
      65          void *leak;
      66
      67          d = kzalloc(sizeof(*d), GFP_KERNEL);
      68          if (!d)
      69                  return NULL;
      70
      71          d->jiffies_expire = jiffies +
      72                  msecs_to_jiffies(1000 * EXPIRE_PERIOD);
      73
      74          /*
      75           * Patch: save the extra memory location into a SV_LEAK shadow
      76           * variable.  A patched dummy_free routine can later fetch this
      77           * pointer to handle resource release.
      78           */
      79          leak = kzalloc(sizeof(int), GFP_KERNEL);
      80          if (!leak) {
      81                  kfree(d);
      82                  return NULL;
      83          }
      84
      85          klp_shadow_alloc(d, SV_LEAK, sizeof(leak), GFP_KERNEL,
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This doesn't seem right at all?  Leak is a pointer.  Why is leak a void
pointer instead of an int pointer?

Hi Dan,

If I remember this code correctly, the shadow variable is tracking the
pointer value itself and not its contents, so sizeof(leak) should be correct
for the shadow variable data size.

(For kernel/livepatch/shadow.c :: __klp_shadow_get_or_alloc() creates new
struct klp_shadow with .data[size] to accommodate its meta-data plus the
desired data).

Why isn't leak an int pointer?  I don't remember why, according to git
history it's been that way since the beginning.  I think it was coded to
say, "Give me some storage, any size an int will do.  I'm not going to touch
it, but I want to demonstrate a memory leak".

Would modifying the pointer type satisfy the static code complaint?

Since the warning is about a size mismatch, what are the parameters that it
is keying on?  [ ... snip ... ]

It looks at places which call klp_shadow_alloc() and says that sometimes
the third argument is the size of the last argument.  Then it complains
when a caller doesn't match.

I could just make klp_shadow_alloc() an exception.

Ah, I see. It must also be checking that the last two arguments (ctor, ctor_data) are non-null, as that's the simplified calling sequence.

/me runs cscope to find an example ...

Well that's interesting, there really aren't any other klp_shadow_alloc() callers aside from lib/livepatch/test_klp_shadow_vars.c, which hides it in a wrapper routine that probably dodges the static code check.

For a typical out-of-tree example [1], we do a lot of this:

	newpid = klp_shadow_get_or_alloc(p, 0, sizeof(*newpid),
				     GFP_KERNEL, NULL, NULL);
	if (newpid)
		*newpid = ctr++;

as we don't always need the constructor / destructor callbacks for simple shadow variables.

Since the ctor/dtor callback part of the API was provided by Petr, I'll let him chime in what the code checker should be warning about here. I think it may be more complicated than it's worth, but maybe he has another idea.

Regards,

-- Joe

[1] https://github.com/dynup/kpatch/blob/master/test/integration/centos-7/shadow-newpid.patch

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]