Re: livepatch: why not use only one tracer for all the changed functions?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015, zhouchengming wrote:

> Now the livepatch register one tracer for each changed function.
> So ftrace will iterates the whole tracers list when each changed function be
> called. And when there are many changed functions, this solution can cause
> performance degradation obviously.
>
> So I think we can register only one tracer for all the changed functions. And
> in this tracer handler we can find the right new function list easily using
> the hash value of the old function address.

You'd be trading hash-based lookup performed by ftrace for hash-based
lookup performed by the klp handler. I don't see a potential for dramatic
speedup there, and in the current way we're keeping our code simpler and
ftrace handler lightweight.

But of course in case you'd have numbers that'd prove me wrong, it should
be considered.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs