Re: RFC: removing reloc and module notify code from livepatch

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:40:35PM -0500, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> > > That example is pretty much the worst case scenario.
> >
> > I've pulled it completely out of the air, but I am currently far from
> > claiming it impossible. It's not just network drivers / netdev API. We're
> > in similar situation is with filesystems / vfs, pretty much anything /
> > {mm, sysfs}, etc.
> >
> > So I would really like to avoid ignoring such scenarios. Let's try to be
> > as general as possible.
> >
> > > But how likely is it really?  Have you encountered anything like that
> > > with SLES?
> >
> > That's hard to say for me immediately; definitely not with our live
> > patching offering, but that's been there only for relatively short time so
> > far. I'll try to do some more sophisticated analysis of the kernel patches
> > tomorrow, to see if I am able to find some instances of this pattern.
>
> Thanks.  I think some specifics would really help.  I'll try to do the
> same.

I looked at a bunch of CVE fixes.  I didn't see anything as bad as this
worst case scenario.  There were a few fixes which changed EXPORT_SYMBOL
prototypes.  Probably the best way to handle those, if the prototype
changes are absolutely necessary for this fix, would be to add new
interfaces rather than changing the existing ones.  Then you only have
one-way dependencies, and you don't break third party modules.

However, dependencies aside, I noticed that ~40% of the CVE fixes
involved patching a module.  So patching modules is very prevalent.
Even if there are no dependencies involved, delayed module patching is a
really nice feature.  If our goal is to minimize disruption, forcing the
user to load unused modules unnecessarily is probably a bad idea.

So maybe we need to keep thinking -- maybe there's a way to keep delayed
module patching while reusing the module loader's relocation code
somehow?

--
Josh