clean up I/O path inode locking helpers and the page fault handler

Hi all,

a while ago I started wondering about some of the I/O path locking,
and ended up wading through the various helpers.  This series refactors
them an improves comments to help understanding.  To get there I also
took a hard look at the page fault handler and ended up refactoring it
as well.

Diffstat: