Re: Question about using reflink and realtime features on the same filesystem

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 11:24:27PM +0000, linux-xfs.ykg@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was attempting to use mkfs.xfs on Linux Mint 21 (kernel 6.5.0, xfsprogs
> 5.13.0) and ran into an error trying to use realtime and reflink features on
> the same filesystem. Is there anything I'm doing wrong, or is this
> combination simply not supported on the same filesystem?
>
> The exact command I ran was:
> mkfs.xfs -N -r rtdev=/dev/sda1,extsize=1048576 -m reflink=1 /dev/sda2
>
> Which returned with:
> reflink not supported with realtime devices
>
> Just to be clear - I didn't expect to be able to use reflinking on realtime
> files (*), but I did expect to be able to have realtime files and reflinked
> non-realtime files supported on the same filesystem. With my limited
> knowledge of the inner workings of XFS, those two features _seem_ like they
> could both work together as long as they are used on different inodes. Is
> this not the case?

It's not supported, currently.  Patches have been out for review since
2020 but have not moved forward due to prioritization and backlog issues.
Sorry about that. :(

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-xfs/160945477567.2833676.4112646582104319587.stgit@magnolia/

--D