Re: XFS corruption after power surge/outage

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 12:39 PM Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was going to suggest creating an xfs_metadump image for analysis.
> Was that created with xfsprogs v6.5.0 as well?

> so the metadump did not complete?

I actually tried running xfs_metadump with both v5.0 and v6.5.0. They
both gave many error messages, but they created files. Not sure what I
can do with those files

> Does the filesystem mount? Can you mount it -o ro or -o ro,norecovery
> to see how much you can read off of it?

The file system doesn't mount. the message when I try to mount it is:

mount: /data: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

and

Feb 12 10:06:02 hgdownload1 kernel: XFS (sda1): Superblock has unknown
incompatible features (0x10) enabled.
Feb 12 10:06:02 hgdownload1 kernel: XFS (sda1): Filesystem cannot be
safely mounted by this kernel.
Feb 12 10:06:02 hgdownload1 kernel: XFS (sda1): SB validate failed
with error -22.

I wonder if that is because I tried a xfs_repair with a newer version...

> If mount fails, what is in the kernel log when it fails?

> Power losses really should not cause corruption, it's a metadata journaling
> filesytem which should maintain consistency even with a power loss.
>
> What kind of storage do you have, though? Corruption after a power loss often
> stems from a filesystem on a RAID with a write cache that does not honor
> data integrity commands and/or does not have its own battery backup.

We have a RAID 6 card with a BBU:

Product Name    : AVAGO MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i
Serial No       : SK00485396
FW Package Build: 24.21.0-0017

I agree that power issues should not cause corruption, but here we
are. Somewhere on one of the discussion threads I saw somebody mention
ufsexplorer, and when I downloaded the trial version, it seemed to see
most of the files on the device. I guess if I can't find a way to
recover the current filesystem, I will try to use that to recover the
data.