Re: Max theoretical XFS filesystem size in review

On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 02:26:53PM -0800, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> I'd like to review the max theoretical XFS filesystem size and
> if block size used may affect this. At first I thought that the limit which
> seems to be documented on a few pages online of 16 EiB might reflect the
> current limitations [0], however I suspect its an artifact of both
> BLKGETSIZE64 limitation. There might be others so I welcome your feedback
> on other things as well.

Linux is limited to 8EiB as loff_t is signed ... I don't want to introduce
lllseek() to expand beyond 8EiB; I have reason to believe that we'll
have 128-bit registers in relevant CPUs before we can buy reasonably
priced arrays of drives that will reach 8EiB (and want to turn those
into a single block device).

See my Zettalinux presentation at Plumbers 2022 in Dublin (and that
reminds me, I really should do something with zettalinux.org)