Re: xfs_clear_incompat_log_features considered harmful?

On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 09:30:11PM -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> So, if I'm reading you both correctly, I'll:
>
> 1. change the log incompat handling code to clear them on umount only;
> 2. add a mount option to allow admins to permit setting of log incompat
>    flags;

I'd maybe turn this aroudn the other way - mount option to disallow
it, because I think the number of use cases where we don't want
flags to be set are much smaller than the number of use cases where
it either doesn't matter or using the new features is desired.

> 3. leave the xfs_{swapext,attri}_can_use_without_log_assistance
>    functions as they are in djwong-wtf so that new incompat filesystem
>    features will eliminate the need for setting/clearing the log
>    incompat flags
>
> Did I get that right?

Sounds mostly fine to me.

Cheers,