Question: Is growing log size when filesystem is grown a feasible solution

Hi all,

We had earlier seen a few instances where there was an impact
in the read/write performance with processes stuck in
xlog_grant_head_wait(). And our investigation brought us to the
conclusion that the limitation in log space was causing this.
This was when we have a lot of read/write going through and the
log space was limited.

The problem was seen especially when the file system was small
initially and later grown to a larger size using xfs_growfs.
The log size does not grow when the FS is grown. In these cases,
we are stuck with the same log size calculated for the smaller
file system size (which was 10MB, the earlier default value).

The problem was partially addressed by the commit:
cdfa467 mkfs: increase the minimum log size to 64MB when possible

This commit make the default log size to 64MB for new filesystems,
but does not address the issue for existing filesystems with a
small log size. The only solution for such Fs is to recreate it
from scratch, which is not feasible for production systems. Hence,
there is a need to provide a solution - and we want to explore
possibility of growing the log size using xfs_growfs.

It would be great if I can get some comments from the community
if the change where xfs_growfs can grow the log is encouraged.
If it is, then any advice or comments on how to proceed with the
problem would be great too.

Thanks,
Srikanth