Re: mkfs.xfs with --protofile does not copy extended attributes into the generated filesystem

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 03:36:05PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2023 at 09:22:50PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > mkfs.xfs doesn't have a '--protofile' option. It has a '-p <file>'
> > > option for specifying a protofile - is that what you mean?
> >
> > While we're on the topic, would it also be useful to have a -p switch
> > that would copy the fsxattr options as well?
>
> If protofile support is going to be extended then supporting
> everything that can be read/set through generic kernel interfaces
> would be appropriate...
>
> But I'm not convinced that we should extend protofile support
> because mounting the filesytsem and running rsync, xfs_restore, etc
> can already do all this stuffi with no development work necessary...

> rsync doesn't support copying the fsxattr data (though it does support
> extended attributes), and iirc xfsdump can only do entire filesystems,
> right?

Additionally, when populating the filesystem in a regular file, to mount it
we need loop devices and we need to be root. Both of which we want to
avoid. So having an option to do this without mounting the filesystem like
ext4 and btrfs have would be very useful. It doesn't have to be via '-p', I'm
fine with a -d or --rootdir option like the ones that ext4 and btrfs
have as well.

Cheers,

Daan