Re: [RFC v2 00/10] bdev: LBS devices support to coexist with buffer-heads

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 10:51:12PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 02:32:44PM -0700, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> > However, an issue is that disabling CONFIG_BUFFER_HEAD in practice is not viable
> > for many Linux distributions since it also means disabling support for most
> > filesystems other than btrfs and XFS. So we either support larger order folios
> > on buffer-heads, or we draw up a solution to enable co-existence. Since at LSFMM
> > 2023 it was decided we would not support larger order folios on buffer-heads,
>
> Um, I didn't agree to that.

Coverage on sunsetting buffer-heads talk by LWN:

https://lwn.net/Articles/931809/

"the apparent conclusion from the session: the buffer-head layer will be
converted to use folios internally while minimizing changes visible to
the filesystems using it. Only single-page folios will be used within
this new buffer-head layer. Any other desires, he said, can be addressed
later after this problem has been solved."

And so I think we're at the later part of this. I'm happy to see efforts
for buffer-heads support with large order folio support, and so at this
point I think it would be wise to look for commonalities and colalborate
on what things could / should be shared.

  Luis