Why doesn't XFS need ->launder_folio?

I want to remove ->launder_folio.  So I'm looking at commit e3db7691e9f3
which introduced ->launder_page.  The race described there is pretty
clear:

     invalidate_inode_pages2() may find the dirty bit has been set on a page
     owing to the fact that the page may still be mapped after it was locked.
     Only after the call to unmap_mapping_range() are we sure that the page
     can no longer be dirtied.

ie this happens:

Task A				Task B
mmaps a file, writes to page A
				open(O_DIRECT)
				read()
				kiocb_invalidate_pages()
				filemap_write_and_wait_range()
				__filemap_fdatawrite_range()
				filemap_fdatawrite_wbc()
				do_writepages()
				iomap_writepages()
				write_cache_pages()
				page A gets cleaned
writes to page A again
				invalidate_inode_pages2_range()
				folio_mapped() is true, so we unmap it
				folio_launder() returns 0
				invalidate_complete_folio2() returns 0
				ret = -EBUSY
				kiocb_invalidate_pages() returns EBUSY

and the DIO read fails, despite it being totally reasonable to return
the now-stale data on storage.  A DIO write would be a different matter;
we really do need to get page A out of cache.

So would it be reasonable to unmap the pages earlier and rely on
invalidate_lock to prevent page faults making the page writable
between the call to filemap_write_and_wait_range() and the call to
invalidate_complete_folio2() ?  Then we could get rid of ->launder_folio()
as well as making DIO a little more reliable when racing with page faults.