Re: Moving existing internal journal log to an external device (success?)

On 2023-08-24 16:22, Eric Sandeen wrote:
On 8/21/23 8:07 AM, fk1xdcio@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, I understand. I was thinking more of an offline utility for doing
this but I see why that can't be done in growfs.

So I guess it doesn't really work. This is why I ask the experts. I'll
keep experimenting because due to the requirements of needing to
physically move disks around, being able to move the log back and forth
from internal to external would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what is your use case? Why do you need/want to
move logs around?

Every so often I rotate certain drives from production servers to semi-offline servers for testing and verification. The production servers have SSD for cache and the fast external journal but the testing servers do not. The testing servers need to be able to test and verify the filesystem and do periodic synchronization/mirroring but obliviously can't use the original filesystem without the journal. Also some of these drives are moved offsite so being able to put the journal back to its internal position would simplify things.

Of course it would be possible to have extra drives in the testing environment that the logs could be moved to but the testing servers are very physically limited as to what can be hooked up to them so there really isn't enough room or ports for those extra drives. Plus the whole offsite thing.

It's more of a "want to help make life easier" than a hard requirement.