Re: Question on slow fallocate

On 7/19/23 3:38 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
On 7/19/23 3:29 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
Somewhat tangential: I still would like a fallocate() option that actually zeroes out new extents (via "write zeroes", if supported), rather than just
setting them up as unwritten extents. Nor for "data" files, but for
WAL/journal files.

Like this?

fallocate(2):

    Zeroing file space
       Specifying  the  FALLOC_FL_ZERO_RANGE  flag  (available  since Linux 3.15) in mode zeros space in the byte range starting at offset and continuing for len bytes.

Under the covers, that uses efficient zeroing methods when available.

-Eric

Hm sorry, it's been a while. Maybe I'm wrong about this; I know it does efficient zeroing when pointed at a block device but I guess I've confused myself about what happens on a filesystem like XFS that supports unwritten extents.

-Eric