Re: Corruption of in-memory data (0x8) detected at xfs_defer_finish_noroll on kernel 6.3

On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 05:13:09PM -0500, Mike Pastore wrote:
> On Tue, May 2, 2023, 5:03 PM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > If you can find a minimal reproducer, that would help a lot in
> > diagnosing the issue.
> >

> This is great, thank you. I'll get to work.
>
> One note: the problem occured with and without crc=0, so we can rule that
> out at least.

Yes, I noticed that. My point was more that we have much more
confidence in crc=1 filesystems because they have much more robust
verification of the on-disk format and won't fail log recovery in
the way you noticed. The verification with crc=1 configured
filesystems is also known to catch issues caused by
memory corruption more frequently, often preventing such occurrences
from corrupting the on-disk filesystem.

Hence if you are seeing corruption events, you really want to be
using "-m crc=1" (default config) filesystems...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner