Re: Replacing the external log device

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 05:08:56AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Let me restate that:  you created a new XFS file system, but then tried
> to reuse an existing log device for it?

Yes (more or less, as the existing log device should be reformatted by
xfs_repair).

> How did you format the new file system?  XFS either expects and internal
> log, or a log device?  For the above error it must have been formatted
> with a different external log?

Yes, that's correct.

> And then you just switched the mount
> option to the log device of the previous file system?

I physically replaced the disks.

> If so that can't work, and I'm surprised you got so far.

Hmm. Does that mean a zeroed log is still different from one that has
been freshly created? If that is true, then that would be a difference
from the "working" and "not working" cases.
Or do you mean that a log device cannot be replaced even if it is
physically damaged?

A.

--
Ansgar Esztermann
Sysadmin Dep. Theoretical and Computational Biophysics