Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] SLOB+SLAB allocators removal and future SLUB improvements

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 09:05:13AM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> The immediate benefit of that is that we can allow kfree() (and kfree_rcu())
> to free objects from kmem_cache_alloc() - something that IIRC at least xfs
> people wanted in the past, and SLOB was incompatible with that.
>
> For SLAB removal I haven't yet heard any objections (but also didn't
> deprecate it yet) but if there are any users due to particular workloads
> doing better with SLAB than SLUB, we can discuss why those would regress and
> what can be done about that in SLUB.
>
> Once we have just one slab allocator in the kernel, we can take a closer
> look at what the users are missing from it that forces them to create own
> allocators (e.g. BPF), and could be considered to be added as a generic
> implementation to SLUB.

With kfree() now working on kmem_cache_alloc(), I'd like to re-propose
the introduction of a generic free() function which can free any
allocated object.  It starts out looking a lot like kvfree(), but
can be enhanced to cover other things ... here's a version I did from
2018 before giving up on it when I realised slob made it impossible:

+/**
+ * free() - Free memory
+ * @ptr: Pointer to memory
+ *
+ * This function can free almost any type of memory.  It can safely be
+ * called on:
+ * * NULL pointers.
+ * * Pointers to read-only data (will do nothing).
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from kmalloc().
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from kmem_cache_alloc().
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from vmalloc().
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from alloc_percpu().
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from __get_free_pages().
+ * * Pointers to memory allocated from page_frag_alloc().
+ *
+ * It cannot free memory allocated by dma_pool_alloc() or dma_alloc_coherent().
+ */
+void free(const void *ptr)
+{
+       struct page *page;
+
+       if (unlikely(ZERO_OR_NULL_PTR(ptr)))
+               return;
+       if (is_kernel_rodata((unsigned long)ptr))
+               return;
+
+       page = virt_to_head_page(ptr);
+       if (likely(PageSlab(page)))
+               return kmem_cache_free(page->slab_cache, (void *)ptr);
+
+       if (is_vmalloc_addr(ptr))
+               return vfree(ptr);
+       if (is_kernel_percpu_address((unsigned long)ptr))
+               free_percpu((void __percpu *)ptr);
+       if (put_page_testzero(page))
+               __put_page(page);
+}
+EXPORT_SYMBOL(free);

Looking at it now, I'd also include a test for stack memory (and do
nothing if it is)

There are some prep patches that I'm not including here to clear out
the use of 'free' as a function name (some conflicting identifiers named
'free') and a fun one to set a SLAB_PAGE_DTOR on compound pages.