Re: [LSF TOPIC] online repair of filesystems: what next?

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 11:56:57PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
> "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> I don't think we ever do that, or need to do that. IO completions
> >> that can throw corruption errors are already running in workqueue
> >> contexts in XFS.
> >>
> >> Worst case, we throw all bios that have IO errors flagged to the
> >> same IO completion workqueues, and the problem of memory allocation,
> >> locks, etc in interrupt context goes away entire.
> >
> > Indeed.  For XFS I think the only time we might need to fsnotify about
> > errors from interrupt context is writeback completions for a pure
> > overwrite?  We could punt those to a workqueue as Dave says.  Or figure
> > out a way for whoever's initiating writeback to send it for us?
> >
> > I think this is a general issue for the pagecache, not XFS.  I'll
> > brainstorm with willy the next time I encounter him.

> >> Unless I'm misunderstanding you (possible!), that requires a memory
> >> allocation to offload the error information to the work queue to
> >> allow the fsnotify error message to be generated in an async manner.
> >> That doesn't seem to solve anything.

> >> Once the filesystem is shut down, it will need to turn off
> >> individual sickness notifications because everything is sick at this
> >> point.
> >
> > I was thinking that the existing fsnotify error set should adopt a 'YOUR
> > FS IS DEAD' notification.  Then when the fs goes down due to errors or
> > the shutdown ioctl, we can broadcast that as the final last gasp of the
> > filesystem.

> >> Fine grained health information will always be filesystem specific -
> >> IMO it's not worth trying to make it generic when there is only one
> >> filesystem that tracking and exporting fine-grained health
> >> information. Once (if) we get multiple filesystems tracking fine
> >> grained health information, then we'll have the information we need
> >> to implement a useful generic set of notifications, but until then I
> >> don't think we should try.
> >
> > Same here.  XFS might want to send the generic notifications and follow
> > them up with more specific information?
> >
> >> We should just export the notifications the filesystem utilities
> >> need to do their work for the moment.  When management applications
> >> (e.g Stratis) get to the point where they can report/manage
> >> filesystem health and need that information from multiple
> >> filesystems types, then we can work out a useful common subset of
> >> fine grained events across those filesystems that the applications
> >> can listen for.
> >
> > If someone wants to write xfs_scrubd that listens for events and issues
> > XFS_IOC_SCRUB_METADATA calls I'd be all ears. :)
> >

> Does it make sense to have more generic FS specific application daemon
> which can listen on such events from fanotify and take admin actions
> based on that.
> For e.g. If any FS corruption is encountered causing FS shutdown and/or
> ro mount.

If we ever wire up generic notifications for the pagecache and iomap
then I guess we /could/ at least build a generic service to do things
like blast the user's session notifier/sysadmin's monitoring service
when things go wrong.

> 1. then taking a xfs metadump which can later be used for analysis
> of what went wrong (ofcourse this will need more thinking on how and
> where to store it).
> 2. Initiating xfs_scrub with XFS_IOC_SCRUB_METATA call.

These things are all /very/ filesystem specific.  For things like
metadump and auto-scrubbing I think we'd need something in xfsprogs, not
a generic tool.

> 3. What else?
>
> Ofcourse in production workloads the metadump can be collected by
> obfuscating file/directory names ;)

That said... it would be pretty useful if there was *some* ability to
automate capture of metadata dumps for ext4 and xfs.  Once the fs goes
offline it's probably safe to capture the dump since (presumably) the fs
will not be writing to the block device any more.

The hard part is having a place to dump that much information.  Do we
still trust the running system enough to handle it, or would we be
better off deferring that to a kdump payload?

--D