Re: replacement i_version counter for xfs

On Wed, 2023-02-01 at 10:31 +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 07:02:56AM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:

> > > On XFS, the timestamp update will either succeed or cause the
> > > filesystem to shutdown as a failure with a dirty transaction is a
> > > fatal, unrecoverable error.
> > >

> > Ok. So for xfs, we could move all of this to be afterward. Clearing
> > setuid bits is quite rare, so that would only rarely require a
> > transaction (in principle).
>
> See my response in the other email about XFS and atomic buffered
> write IO. We don't need to do an update after the write because
> reads cannot race between the data copy and the ctime/i_version
> update. Hence we only need one update, and it doesn't matter if it
> is before or after the data copy into the page cache.

Yep, I just saw that. Makes sense. It sounds like we won't need to do
anything extra for that for XFS at all.

> > > If the filesystem has shut down, it doesn't matter that the data got
> > > copied into the kernel - it's never going to make it to disk and
> > > attempts to read it back will also fail. There's nothing that can be
> > > exploited by such a failure on XFS - it's game over for everyone
> > > once the fs has shut down....

> > > Why not also bump ctime at write completion if a query races with
> > > the write()? Wouldn't that put ns-granularity ctime based change
> > > detection on a par with i_version?
> > >
> > > Userspace isn't going to notice the difference - the ctime they
> > > observe indicates that it was changed during the syscall. So
> > > who/what is going to care if we bump ctime twice in the syscall
> > > instead of just once in this rare corner case?
> > >

> > We could bump the ctime too in this situation, but it would be more
> > costly. In most cases the i_version bump will be a no-op. The only
> > exception would be when a query of i_version races in between the two
> > bumps. That wouldn't be the case with the ctime, which would almost
> > always require a second transaction.
>
> You've missed the part where I suggested lifting the "nfsd sampled
> i_version" state into an inode state flag rather than hiding it in
> the i_version field. At that point, we could optimise away the
> secondary ctime updates just like you are proposing we do with the
> i_version updates.  Further, we could also use that state it to
> decide whether we need to use high resolution timestamps when
> recording ctime updates - if the nfsd has not sampled the
> ctime/i_version, we don't need high res timestamps to be recorded
> for ctime....

Once you move the flag out of the word, we can no longer do this with
atomic operations and will need to move to locking (probably a
spinlock). Is it worth it? I'm not sure.

It's an interesting proposal, regardless...
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>