Re: [RFCv2 1/3] iomap: Move creation of iomap_page early in __iomap_write_begin

On 23/01/30 09:00PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > delayed iop allocation is a feature and not a bug.  We might have to
> > > refine the criteria for sub-page dirty tracking, but in general having
> > > the iop allocates is a memory and performance overhead and should be
> > > avoided as much as possible.  In fact I still have some unfinished
> > > work to allocate it even more lazily.
> >
> > So, what I meant here was that the commit[1] chaged the behavior/functionality
> > without indenting to. I agree it's not a bug.
>
> It didn't change the behaviour or functionality.  It broke your patches,
> but it certainly doesn't deserve its own commit reverting it -- because
> it's not wrong.
>
> > But when I added dirty bitmap tracking support, I couldn't understand for
> > sometime on why were we allocating iop only at the time of writeback.
> > And it was due to a small line change which somehow slipped into this commit [1].
> > Hence I made this as a seperate patch so that it doesn't slip through again w/o
> > getting noticed/review.
>
> It didn't "slip through".  It was intended.
>
> > Thanks for the info on the lazy allocation work. Yes, though it is not a bug, but
> > with subpage dirty tracking in iop->state[], if we end up allocating iop only
> > at the time of writeback, than that might cause some performance degradation
> > compared to, if we allocat iop at ->write_begin() and mark the required dirty
> > bit ranges in ->write_end(). Like how we do in this patch series.
> > (Ofcourse it is true only for bs < ps use case).
> >
> > [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20220623175157.1715274-5-shr@xxxxxx/
>
> You absolutely can allocate it in iomap_write_begin, but you can avoid
> allocating it until writeback time if (pos, len) entirely overlap the
> folio.  ie:
>
> 	if (pos > folio_pos(folio) ||
> 	    pos + len < folio_pos(folio) + folio_size(folio))
> 		iop = iomap_page_create(iter->inode, folio, iter->flags, false);

Thanks for the suggestion. However do you think it will be better if this is
introduced along with lazy allocation changes which Christoph was mentioning
about?
Why I am thinking that is because, with above approach we delay the allocation
of iop until writeback, for entire folio overlap case. But then later
in __iomap_write_begin(), we require iop if folio is not uptodate.
Hence we again will have to do some checks to see if the iop is not allocated
then allocate it (which is for entire folio overlap case).
That somehow looked like an overkill for a very little gain in the context of
this patch series. Kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

-ritesh