Re: Detecting disk failures on XFS

On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 12:58:55PM +0800, Alexander Hartner wrote:
> We have dealing with a problem where a NVME drive fails every so
> often. More than it really should. While we are trying to make sense
> of the hardware issue, we are also looking at the recovery options.
>
> Currently we are using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on XFS with a single NVME
> disk. If the disk fails the following error is reported.
>
> Nov 6, 2022 @ 20:27:12.000    [1095930.104279] nvme nvme0: controller
> is down; will reset: CSTS=0x3, PCI_STATUS=0x10
> Nov 6, 2022 @ 20:27:12.000    [1095930.451711] nvme nvme0: 64/0/0
> default/read/poll queues
> Nov 6, 2022 @ 20:27:12.000    [1095930.453846] blk_update_request: I/O
> error, dev nvme0n1, sector 34503744 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x800
> phys_seg 1 prio class 0
>
> And the system becomes completely unresponsive.

What is the system stuck on? The output of sysrq-w will would help
us understand what is happening as a result of this failed NVMe
drive.

> I am looking for a solution to stop the system when this happens, so
> the other nodes in our cluster can carry the work. However since the
> system is unresponsive and the disk presumably in read-only mode we
> stuck in a sort of zombie state, where the processes are still running
> but don't have access to the disk. On EXT3/4 there is an option to
> take the system down.

On XFS, there are some configurable error behaviours that
can be changed under /sys/fs/xfs/<dev>/error/metadata.

See the Error Handling of the linux kernel admin guide XFS page:

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/xfs.html#error-handling

I'm guessing that the behaviour you are seeing is that metadata
write EIO errors default to "retry until unmount" behaviour (i.e.
retry writes forever, fail_at_unmount = true).

> Is there an equivalent for XFS ? I didn't find anything similar on the
> XFS man page.

Hmmmm.  It might be worth documenting this sysfs stuff in xfs(5),
not just the mount options supported...

Cheers,

Dave.
--