Re: [RFC 2/2] iomap: Support subpage size dirty tracking to improve write performance

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 02:51:10PM +0000, David Howells wrote:
> > > filesystems right now.  Dave Howells' netfs infrastructure is trying
> > > to solve the problem for everyone (and he's been looking at iomap as
> > > inspiration for what he's doing).
> >
> > Btw, I never understod why the network file systems don't just use
> > iomap.  There is nothing block specific in the core iomap code.
>
> It calls creates and submits bio structs all over the place.  This seems to
> require a blockdev.

The core iomap code (fs/iomap/iter.c) does not.  Most users of it
are block device centric right now, but for example the dax.c uses
iomap for byte level DAX accesses without ever looking at a bdev,
and seek.c and fiemap.c do not make any assumptions on the backend
implementation.