Re: [RFC 2/2] iomap: Support subpage size dirty tracking to improve write performance

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 03:43:24AM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 08:04:22AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > As it is, we already have the capability for the mapping tree to
> > have multiple indexes pointing to the same folio - perhaps it's time
> > to start thinking about using filesystem blocks as the mapping tree
> > index rather than PAGE_SIZE chunks, so that the page cache can then
> > track dirty state on filesystem block boundaries natively and
> > this whole problem goes away. We have to solve this sub-folio dirty
> > tracking problem for multi-page folios anyway, so it seems to me
> > that we should solve the sub-page block size dirty tracking problem
> > the same way....
>
> That's an interesting proposal.  From the page cache's point of
> view right now, there is only one dirty bit per folio, not per page.

Per folio, yes, but I thought we also had a dirty bit per index
entry in the mapping tree. Writeback code uses the
PAGECACHE_TAG_DIRTY mark to find the dirty folios efficiently (i.e.
the write_cache_pages() iterator), so it's not like this is
something new. i.e. we already have coherent, external dirty bit
tracking mechanisms outside the folio itself that filesystems
use.

That's kinda what I'm getting at here - we already have coherent
dirty state tracking outside of the individual folios themselves.
Hence if we have to track sub-folio up-to-date state, sub-folio
dirty state and, potentially, sub-folio writeback state outside the
folio itself, why not do it by extending the existing coherent dirty
state tracking that is built into the mapping tree itself?

Folios + Xarray have given us the ability to disconnect the size of
the cached item at any given index from the index granularity - why
not extend that down to sub-page folio granularity in addition to
the scaling up we've been doing for large (multipage) folio
mappings?

Then we don't need any sort of filesystem specific "add-on" that sits
alongside the mapping tree that tries to keep track of dirty state
in addition to the folio and the mapping tree tracking that already
exists...

> We have a number of people looking at the analogous problem for network
> filesystems right now.  Dave Howells' netfs infrastructure is trying
> to solve the problem for everyone (and he's been looking at iomap as
> inspiration for what he's doing).  I'm kind of hoping we end up with one
> unified solution that can be used for all filesystems that want sub-folio
> dirty tracking.  His solution is a bit more complex than I really want
> to see, at least partially because he's trying to track dirtiness at
> byte granularity, no matter how much pain that causes to the server.

Byte range granularity is probably overkill for block based
filesystems - all we need is a couple of extra bits per block to be
stored in the mapping tree alongside the folio....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner