Re: syzkaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 1:52 AM Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 03:07:51PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > [+linux-xfs]
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 02:27:36PM -0500, Ayushman Dutta wrote:
> > > Kernel Version: 5.10.122
> > >
> > > Kernel revision: 58a0d94cb56fe0982aa1ce9712e8107d3a2257fe
> > >
> > > Syzkaller Dashboard report:
> > >
> > > ------------[ cut here ]------------
> > > WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 8503 at mm/util.c:618 kvmalloc_node+0x15a/0x170
> > > mm/util.c:618
> >
> > No.  Do not DM your syzbot reports to random XFS developers.
> >
> > Especially do not send me *three message* with 300K of attachments; even
> > the regular syzbot runners dump all that stuff into a web portal.
> >
> > If you are going to run some scripted tool to randomly
> > corrupt the filesystem to find failures, then you have an
> > ethical and moral responsibility to do some of the work to
> > narrow down and identify the cause of the failure, not just
> > throw them at someone else to do all the work.
>
> /me reads the stack trace, takes 30s to look at the change log,
> finds commit 29d650f7e3ab ("xfs: reject crazy array sizes being fed
> to XFS_IOC_GETBMAP*").

I don't have the syzbot link here, but I assume this is reproducible
and not reproducing on mainline, so in fact syzbot should be capable
of finding the fix commit itself.

If syzbot can hear me, next time you find an xfs bug that is reproducible
on 5.10.y and not on mainline, you may send it to me.

Darrick, if you want to find a creative way to encode that request
in MAINTAINERS as you suggested, that is fine by me.
It should be something that makes it easy to teach the few bots that run
on LTS kernels to find the right recipients and spam us instead of you.
We could add a P: Subsystem Profile document, which contains stable
maintainers info but that is less robot friendly.
I don't have a better idea.

This fix patch is in my xfs-5.10.y queue - it will probably take several
weeks/month until it gets reviewed. I could expedite it if anyone
feels that I should.

Thanks,
Amir.