Re: [5.19 cycle] Planning and goals

On Mon, 2022-04-11 at 13:59 +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 11:50:23AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > > So far each patch in v29 has at least 2 rvbs I think
> >
> > OK.

> > > If it goes on top of whiteouts, it will need some modifications
> > > follow the new log item changes that the whiteout set makes.
> > >
> > > Alternately, if the white out set goes in after the larp set,
> > > then it
> > > will need to apply the new log item changes to xfs_attr_item.c as
> > > well
> >
> > I figured as much, thanks for confirming!
Hi Dave, sorry I just noticed this response after I had sent out the
whiteout reviews last night

> Ok, so I've just gone through the process of merging the two
> branches to see where we stand. The modifications to the log code
> that are needed for the larp code - changes to log iovec processing
> and padding - are out of date in the LARP v29 patchset.
>
> That is, the versions that are in the intent whiteout patchset are
> much more sophisticated and cleanly separated. The version of the
> "avoid extra transactions when no intents" patch in the LARP v29
> series is really only looking at whether the transaction is dirty,
> not whether there are intents in the transactions, which is what we
> really need to know when deciding whether to commit the transaction
> or not.
Ok, so it sounds like patch 2 of the larp set needs to be dropped then

> There are also a bunch of log iovec changes buried in patch 4 of the
> LARP patchset which is labelled as "infrastructure". Those changes
> are cleanly split out as patch 1 in the intent whiteout patchset and
> provide the xlog_calc_vec_len() function that the LARP code needs.

Ok, I will see if I can separate those out then

> As such, the RVBs on the patches in the LARPv29 series don't carry
> over to the patches in the intent whiteout series - they are just
> too different for that to occur.
>
> The additional changes needed to support intent whiteouts are
> relatively straight forward for the attri/attrd items, so at this
> point I'd much prefer that the two patchsets are ordered "intent
> whiteouts" then "LARP".
Alrighty then, sounds good.

> I've pushed the compose I just processed to get most of the pending
> patchsets as they stand into topic branches and onto test machines
> out to kernel.org. Have a look at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dgc/linux-xfs.git xfs-
> 5.19-compose
Ok, I will take a look at this, I had not noticed it last night

> to see how I merged everything and maybe give it a run through your
> test cycle to see if there's anything I broke when LARP is
> enabled....

Great, thanks!
Allison