Re: experience with very large filesystems

Le Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:10:06 +1100
Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> From the storage side, you really want to expand the storage with
> chunks that have the same geometry (stripe unit and stripe width)
> so that it doesn't screw up the alignment of the filesystem to the
> new storage.

That part should be easy, I plan to use the same type of hardware anyway
(12 TB Ultrastar disks).

> And that's where the difficultly may lie. If the existing storage
> volume the filesystem sits on doesn't end exactly on a stripe width
> boundary, you're going to have to offset the start of the new
> storage volumes part way into the first stripe width in the volumes
> to ensure that when the filesystem expands, then end of the first
> stripe width in the new volume is exactly where the filesystem
> expects it to be.

That should be somewhat more manageable given that I've setup
everything as an LVM volume. I may use partitions on the new devices to
precisely align the PVs before expanding the LV.