XFS fallocate implementation incorrectly reports ENOSPC

Hi,

As reported by Charles Hathaway here (with no resolution):

XFS fallocate implementation incorrectly reports ENOSPC
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1791323

Given this sequence:

fallocate -l 1GB image.img
mkfs.xfs -f image.img
mkdir mnt
mount -o loop ./image.img mnt
fallocate -o 0 -l 700mb mnt/image.img
fallocate -o 0 -l 700mb mnt/image.img

Why does the second fallocate fail with ENOSPC, and is that considered an XFS bug?

Ext4 is happy to do the second fallocate without error.

Tested on linux-5.10.60

Background: I'm chasing a mysterious ENOSPC error on an XFS filesystem with way more space than the app should be asking for. There are no quotas on the fs. Unfortunately it's a third party app and I can't tell what sequence is producing the error, but this fallocate issue is a possibility.

Cheers,

Chris