Re: xfs ioend batching log reservation deadlock

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:39:38AM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> 1. Optimize current append transaction processing with an inode field as
> noted above.
>
> 2. Replace the submission side append transaction entirely with a flag
> or some such on the ioend that allocates the transaction at completion
> time, but otherwise preserves batching behavior instituted in patch 1.

I'm pretty sure I had a patch to kill off the transaction reservation
a while ago and Dave objected, mostly in performance grounds in that
we might have tons of reservations coming from the I/O completion
workqueue that would all be blocked on the transaction reservations.

This would probably be much better with the ioend merging, which should
significantly reduce the amount of transactions reservations - to probably
not more than common workloads using unwritten extents.

I'm all for killing the transaction pre-reservations as they have created
a lot of pain for us.