xfsdump | xfsrestore resulting in files->orphanage

copying a disk to a replacing disk I am using
xfsdump on the fromdir and xfsrestore on the todir.

I finish another disk a short while ago with no probs, but this
disk starts out with a weird message from xfsdump:

xfsdump: NOTE: root ino 192 differs from mount dir ino 256, bind mount?

Then later, when it starts restoring files on the target,
all the files end up in the orphanage:

xfsrestore: 9278 directories and 99376 entries processed
xfsrestore: directory post-processing
xfsrestore: restoring non-directory files
xfsrestore: NOTE: ino 709 salvaging file, placing in orphanage/256.0/Library/Music/ Maria/Cover-Inside.jpg xfsrestore: NOTE: ino 710 salvaging file, placing in orphanage/256.0/Library/Music/ Maria/Cover-Outside.jpg

The files look "fine" on the source
Never had a simply "copy" go so wrong...

What might be causing this?

Thanks!
-l