Re: xfs_admin -O feature upgrade feedback

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 07:19:37 -0500, Brian Foster wrote:
> It's not clear to me if you're reporting that feature upgrades spuriously
> succeeded, but repair found and fixed things expected to be problems due
> to the feature upgrade), or that this error is reported if there is
> something independently wrong with the fs. If the former, that seems like
> a bug. If the latter, I think that's reasonable/expected behavior.

There are sillier scenarios, like simply incorrect arguments.  For example
"xfs_admin -O bigtypo=1 /dev/foo" responds with: "Conversion failed, is the
filesystem unmounted?"

(where /dev/foo is the correct blockdevice, properly unmounted etc, but the
options argument contains a typo)

The proper xfs_repair error "unknown option -c bigtypo=1" gets thrown away.

Other examples include "-O bigtime" => "bigtime requires a parameter" (with
Darrick's patch for the other issue applied), or "bigtime=0" => "bigtime
only supports upgrades", all dropped on the floor by xfs_admin and replaced
with the one generic message that gives no indication of the actual problem.
(the user keeps verifying whether the filesystem is unmounted and clean...)

	Geert