Re: xfs_admin -O feature upgrade feedback

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 11:18:03 -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 11:13:14AM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > 1/ xfs_admin responds to every xfs_repair failure with the very generic
> > "Conversion failed, is the filesystem unmounted?"  This isn't very helpful
> > (and left me scratching my head in a number of scenarios), whereas calling
> > xfs_repair directly shows a relevant error message in all cases.  This
> > output should somehow be relayed through xfs_admin - without just dumping
> > the whole xfs_repair output which I know you wanted to avoid.  Maybe by
> > distinguishing more carefully between stderr and stdout?  (Currently, it
> > seems xfs_repair sends its errors to stdout and "normal output" to stderr,
> > and xfs_admin discards xfs_repair's stderr.)
>
> That's a difficult project -- some of the things repair will complain
> about are a result of whatever the upgrade is (e.g. complaining about
> incorrect inode btree counters when you're in the process of enabling
> the counters) but then there are other things that it probably should
> not be dropping on the floor.

On the other hand, upgrading a filesystem is a one-time operation where
it doesn't hurt to be a bit more verbose by default, compared to regular
maintenance operations where silence indicates success.

(and for large filesystems some progress indication is useful, too.)

	Geert