Re: Maximum height of rmapbt when reflink feature is enabled

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 06:42:34PM +0530, Chandan Babu R wrote:
> [...]
> > tree, not min capacity nodes.
> >
> > But the reality is that we could have a single refcount record with
> > 2^32 references, and that requires 2^32 rmapbt records. So if we are
> > talking about really high extent refcount situations, the worst case
> > is a handful of single blocks with billions of references. IOWs, the
> > refcountbt is a single block with ~2^5 entries in it, each which
> > track 2^32 references. Now we require 2^37 rmapbt records, and we've
> > overflowed the maximum physical storage capacity of the AG for
> > rmapbt blocks.
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation.
>

> > >  - Bmbt (assuming all the rmapbt records have the same inode as owner)
> > >    - Total (leaves and non-leaf nodes) blocks required to hold 2e9 records
> > >      Leaf min recs = 29;  Node min recs = 29 (with 1k as the block size).
> > >      (2e9 is the maximum rmapbt records with rmapbt height 9 and 1k block size).
> > >        nr-levels = 1; nr-leaf-blks = 2e9 / 29 = 7e7
> > >        nr-levels = 2; nr-blks = 7e7 / 29 = 2e6
> > >        nr-levels = 3; nr-blks = 2e6 / 29 = 8e4
> > >        nr-levels = 4; nr-blks = 8e4 / 29 = 3e3
> > >        nr-levels = 5; nr-blks = 3e3 / 29 = 1e2
> > >        nr-levels = 6; nr-blks = 1e2 / 29 = 3
> > >        nr-levels = 7; nr-blks = 1
> > >
> > >    - Total block count = 7e7
> > >
> > >  Total blocks used across rmapbt, refcountbt and bmbt = 2e8 + 2e8 + 7e7 = 5e8.
> >
> > BMBT blocks are not bound to an AG the way refcount and rmapbt
> > records are. They can be anywhere in the filesystem, so they play no
> > part in calculations like these.
> >
> > > Since 5e8 < 4e9(i.e. 2^32), we have not run out of blocks trying
> > > to build a rmapbt with XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS (i.e 9) levels.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.
> >
> > The worst case theory is largely sound, but theory != reality.
> >
> > The actual reality of someone with billions of refcount entries to a
> > a handful of single extents in a single AG is using a 1kB block size
> > is likely to be so rare that we shouldn't consider it a critical
> > design point.
> >
> > That is, if the values cover the default 4kB block size just fine,
> > then we should not penalise every common configuration just to
> > handle an extreme case in an extremely rare corner case for a
> > non-default configuration.
>
> Ok.
>

> > > I have come across a "log reservation" calculation issue when
> > > increasing XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS to 10 which is in turn required for
> > > extending data fork extent count to 48 bits.
> >
> > What is that issue?
>
> Sorry, I should have described it when sending the original mail.
>
> Increasing the value of XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS to 10 caused the value of
> mp->m_rmap_maxlevels to be set to 10 when reflink feature is enabled. This in
> turn increased "min log size" calculations and hence a modified kernel (one
> with XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS set to 10) will fail to mount a filesystem which was
> created by mkfs.xfs which used 9 as the value for XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS for its
> "min log size" calculations.
>
> Of course, this problem is no longer valid because ...

I disagree -- m_rmap_maxlevels should be set to the maximal height of an
rmap btree.  On a reflink filesystem we (theoretically) can create
enough rmappings to make the rmapbt consume more than every block in the
AG.  (In practice the reflink remap code will cut you off long before we
run out of space so this is unlikely unless every block is individually
mapped into files and are shared, or every extent is shared hundreds of
millions of times.

Therefore, the (asymptotic upper bound) on m_rmap_maxlevels for a
reflink+rmap filesystem ought to be the maximal height assuming the
rmapbt consumes every block in the AG.

We're probably stuck with xfs_rmapadd_space_res returning a value no
smaller than 9, though, because it affects the minimum log size and thus
affects the ondisk format. :(

> > The BMBT modifications should not care about XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS as
> > a limit, we use the calculated mp->m_bm_maxlevels[] variables for
> > BMBT height. These are bound by the maximum number of extents the
> > tree can index, not the depth of btrees allowed within an AG.
> > Changing the size of the BMBT tree should not affect the per-ag
> > btrees in any way, nor the log reservations required to manipulate
> > the per-ag btrees...
>
> Ah, I didn't realize that XFS_BTREE_MAXLEVELS was applicable only to per-AG
> btrees. As mentioned in your response to Darrick, memory for "struct
> xfs_btree_cur" should be allocated based on the maximum height of the btree
> that the code is about to traverse.
>
> Thanks once again for providing an insight into this.

Yeah, before my eye problems flared up again I was stabilising a
patchset that gets rid of MAXLEVELS entirely.