Re: [GIT PULL] vfs: fs freeze fix for 5.10-rc4

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 04:13:37PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 3:38 PM Darrick J. Wong <djwong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Since the hack is unnecessary and causes thread race errors, just get
> > rid of it completely.  Pushing this kind of vfs change midway through a
> > cycle makes me nervous, but a large enough number of the usual
> > VFS/ext4/XFS/btrfs suspects have said this looks good and solves a real
> > problem vector, so I'm sending this for your consideration instead of
> > holding off until 5.11.
>
> Not a fan of the timing, but you make a good argument, and I love
> seeing code removal. So I took it.

Thanks!  Admittedly this is super late because it didn't occur to me
until after -rc1 that the periodic hangs I saw in for-next were related
to lockdep being broken and weren't some other weird vfs/xfs breakage;
and then I wanted to spin this patch through my internal testing systems
for a week to convince myself that changing the freeze locking code
wasn't totally nuts. :)

--D