Can we change the S_DAX flag immediately on XFS without dropping caches?

Hi,

I have noticed that we have to drop caches to make the changing of S_DAX
flag take effect after using chattr +x to turn on DAX for a existing
regular file. The related function is xfs_diflags_to_iflags, whose
second parameter determines whether we should set S_DAX immediately.

I can't figure out why we do this. Is this because the page caches in
address_space->i_pages are hard to deal with? I also wonder what will
happen if we set S_DAX unconditionally. Thanks!

Regards,
Hao Li