Re: [XFS SUMMIT] 64bit timestamps

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Darrick J. Wong <darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here's a thread to talk about the remainder of 64-bit timestamp support
> on XFS.  I have a series[1] that redefines the inode timestamps to be
> 64-bit nanosecond counters and decreases the accuracy of the ondisk
> quota timers to 4s so that both will last until 2446.
>
> --D
>
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/djwong/xfs-linux.git/log/?h=bigtime

This looks great.

What's the plan w.r.t. enabling bigtime on existing fs?
In the end, it is just a administrative flag saying "point of no return".
Everyone do realize that fixing y2038 by requiring to reformat
existing filesystems is unacceptable for most of the deployments out there,
right?

Thanks,
Amir.