Re: write atomicity with xfs ... current status?

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:19:54PM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Atomic writs are still waiting for more time to finish things off.
>
> That being said while I had a prototype to use the NVMe atomic write
> size I will never submit that to mainline in that paticular form.
>
> NVMe does not have any flag to force atomic writes, thus a too large
> or misaligned write will be executed by the device withour errors.
> That kind of interface is way too fragile to be used in production.

I didn't realise that the NVMe standard had such a glaring flaw.
That basically makes atomic writes useless for anything that
actually requires atomicity. Has the standard been fixed yet? And
does this means that hardware with usable atomic writes is still
years away?

/me is left to wonder how the NVMe standards process screwed this
up so badly....

Cheers,

Dave.
--