Re: Modern uses of CONFIG_XFS_RT

Le Fri, 21 Feb 2020 07:15:09 -0500
Brian Foster <bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> > There are almost always downstream modifications in private cloud
> > storage kernels, even if it is just bug fixes. They aren't shipping
> > the code to anyone, so they don't have to publish those changes.
> > However, the presence of downstream changes doesn't mean the
> > upstreram functionality should be considered unused and can be
> > removed....
> >

> Well that's not what I said. ;P I'm pointing out that as of right now
> this is a downstream only use case. I know there was upstream
> communication and patches posted, etc., but that was a while ago and
> it wasn't clear to me if there was still intent to get things merged
> upstream. If not, then the only real outcome here for anybody outside
> of FB is bitrot.

Maybe, maybe not. Storage tiering is a pretty hot subject, simply
shedding some light on this capability may give it more use. I didn't
know of any actual use case for RT in XFS since IRIX times, but if
there's a way to use it for tiering, this is indeed a very promising
area of development for me (and no doubt many others).